Buildings Historical Significance
Ecole St.Charles (24 Springfield Road) was built in 1910. The building served as a fully operational school until 1974. The building stands today as a reminder of the spirited Francophone community in the New Edinburgh area during the 1900’s. Schoolhouse Square is the cousin building of two other Francophone schools in Ottawa that stand today as a reminder of French language struggles in the early 1900’s.
Heritage Designation and Architectural Design
Ecole St.Charles (24 Springfield Road) was designated as a heritage property on February 21st, 1996 due to the building’s architectural and historical significance. The building is a “physical reminder of the former vitality of the Francophone population in this area of the City” (1996 Bylaw 028, p409).
The original schoolhouse was designed by Ottawa’s early 20th century prominent architects: Moses Edey (designed the Aberdeen Pavilion) and Francis Sullivan. Ecole St.Charles is one of three schools that Edey and Sullivan designed for the French Catholic School Board in the early 1900’s. Notable architectural features for Ecole St.Charles are: the rock faced foundation, red brick, metal cornice and a scroll design surrounding the name of the school. The building today contributes to the original character of the existing neighbourhood.
Domicile Developments converted the old schoolhouse into condominium lofts in 1997. Many original features were preserved in the conversion including: many windows, pressed-metal ceilings, wainscotting and decorative newel posts.
Various lofts feature: raw open spaces, exposed brick, gas fireplaces, 15 foot ceiling heights, 3 story units and private terraces. The condominium conversion included a communal rooftop terrace with a barbecue/sitting area.
Recipients of the ‘Award of Excellence in the Adaptive Use’ category by the City of Ottawa in 1998.